Split Lip Bumper Repair

My front bumper has had a split in it for ages, that’s been progressively getting worse. Honestly, it’s impressive that it’s lasted as long as it has, through nearly 10 years of dedicated autocross use.

I found a piece of *cough* scrap sheet metal to make a patch to strengthen the area:

20160301_094647

I figured 10 rivets would be a nice, round number. It obviously doesn’t need that under static conditions, but when you hit a cone at 50 mph, more is probably better.

20160301_112100

 

After a couple minutes on the drill press, then belt sander to debur, I positioned it on the bumper to transfer the holes through.

20160301_113214

Final positioning before riveting it in place.

20160301_113324

 

And the rivets in. Job done. And just picking up the bumper I can feel that it’s far stronger now, with a lot less flex overall.

20160301_114155

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s