Headlight cover bumpers

I had a little time for a quick project to correct one of the more annoying side effects of gutting most of the bumper supports: part of the bumper supports held up the leading edge of the hood, but with that gone, the already flimsy hood was even flimsier. The steel barn-door covers at the corners of the hood were causing the hood to flex, and causing the center of the hood to bow up, making a bit of a scoop, which is sub optimal.

I found a pair of rubber hood (or maybe trunk?) bumpers in 1 of my buckets o’ bolts and realized they would be about perfect for this.

20160422_164322

These were going to be above the chassis cutouts for the turn signals, so I pulled the bumper to allow far easier access to the bottom nuts. What else are you going to do with an autocross 2 days away?

20160422_213620

Not too many pictures of the process, but I used a pair of long M6 x 1.0 mm bolts and made up brackets that would accept the rubber bumpers. A little welding and grinding, and here’s what I ended up with. There’s another flange nut at the bottom underneath the body sheet metal, to lock everything together (along with some loctite):

20160423_081925

And just like that, no more droopy eyeballs.

20160423_082057

We’ll see how they work tomorrow at the autocross.

Harness Anti-Sub Strap

The 1st event of the season was a very loud reminder that I needed to do something about the anti-submarine strap on the 5 point harness. The angle and length it’s at, and on my particular seat, it essentially falls down to the floorboard every time the driver undoes their belts, which made strapping the next driver in far more annoying than necessary.

It’s a little thing, but at autocrosses with smaller attendance numbers, we’re often finding ourselves rushing drivers in and out of the car about as quickly as possible before it’s time to go again. In fact, at the 1st event we were the only 2-driver car in our heat, and even doubling up on our runs to cut down on driver-changes I ended up having to do 2 runs back-to-back to close the run group out. Sub-optimal (ha! sub!)

Fortunately endurance racing has figured this out eons ago. I sourced a short length of 1/8″ rubber surgical tubing, tied it to the belt and the front seat mount, and called it good.

The subsequent event had a very similar setup with us being the only 2 driver car in the heat, and we were able to manage just fine now that we weren’t having to fumble around with the belts nearly as much. I even managed to spend some time gathering tire temp data.  Win all ’round!

20160301_131854