KMiata Swap – Cooling

Thankfully for the most part, the cooling situation on these if fairly straight forward and a known quantity, though there’s *always* some custom work to be done.

First thing’s first, the hoses. The upper hose can be made from a Dayco 72277 and a Dayco 72098, with a 12″ coupler between them, and the lower is a Dayco 71718. They’ll all be need to be lightly trimmed to fit, but they’ll get you most of the way there.

Of course, a 12″ coupler doesn’t seem to exist off the shelf, so I bought some aluminum tubing and a bead roller and got to work:

20191007_154615
20191009_141525

I made a strap out of a piece of tubing to secure the front of the upper radiator hose away from the front corner of the block, and the accessory belt idler pulley:

20191101_114820

I’d been using a stock radiator for mock up so as to not risk dinging up the nice aluminum rad, but quickly found a clearance problem with the stock fan bolted on the thicker core aluminum rad, as it did not fit between the radiator and front sway bar.

With a slim-line fan ordered, I could get busy building mounts. I used the “through the core zip-tie” style ‘mounts’ it came with to secure it in place and give me something to aim at:

20191101_121920

I cut the mounts out of steel plate. Aluminum *might* be strong enough for this (especially some CNC’d billet mounts), but this is critical enough that I’ll take the weight penalty for over-building it. I did turn up a set of spacers on the lathe out of aluminum, and the fan is bolting through weld nuts on the bottom of the mount plates

20191101_143600

With the critical features of the lower mount done, the simpler top mount could be made:

20191101_170948

A quick test fit shows PLENTY of room to the front sway bar:

20191101_171134

Once all the critical fitup was done, less critical Speed Holes can be drilled:

20191101_195308

A lick of paint and some foam-rubber insulation to seal the fan to the core, and prevent chafing:

20191102_105530

Mint!

20191102_105837_HDR